6 January 2020
The holiday season is showing no signs of letting up as we head for Old Russian Christmas (on 7 January), a favourite of the Knidos Cookery crew!
On a recent visit to Uzbekistan, we dropped by Vlad’s restaurant in Tashkent and were served a great beetroot and walnut dish – Vlad’s Korolevsky salad.
- 250 g beetroot (roasted and grated)
- One small onion
- One cm ginger
- One teaspoon cumin
- One teaspoon chilli flakes
- Juice of one lime
- Two walnuts
- 25 ml olive oil
- Bake the beetroot in an oven pre-heated to 180 c for 40 minutes. Let it cool then peel it before grating it finely.
- While the beetroot is cooling, fry the onion and spices in the olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Add the beetroot to the onion mix and stir in the lime juice. Sprinkle toasted walnuts over the top of the salad just before serving.